Shortly after, we were at the grocery store. As I walked by the pizza display, I saw something that had been eluding me since I found the cheese shop -- a good cheese grater. It was a small, silver grater with four sides and sizes... just right (I have bought two graters that are really for vegetables and mangle our precious cheese). So I put it in my basket. When I was checking it, the checker scanned it and it didn't register. I get the sense that NEVER happens in Japan. She did it again, and nothing registered. Looks of horror came over her face. Someone came over and they talked and I got the sense they were asking where I found it. I mentioned, lamely, "pizza?". One said "Ah, pizza corner!" "Hai (yes)," I said. So one ran off while the other continued to ring me out. A second later, I realized I had probably plucked the grater out of a display. Meekly, I took out my dictionary, looked up the word for decoration and showed the checker. Ah-ha, she said. "Sumimasen," I said (I'm sorry -- one of the few phrases I have down pat). The first checker came back with the same discovery and apologies that I could not buy the display grater... I think she said I could get one at the big market downtown....I just repeated Sumimasen and hurried off with my groceries.
Anyway.
In other news -- Jay and Judy safely arrived last night, and the kids actually let them sleep til 8:30 this morning. They are SO excited to see them (as are we all... but John and I tend not to squeal quite as much.) The kids and I took them to Odori Park downtown (John has to submit the book tonight) where we had a great time... until Katie ran out of the bathroom straight into the path of a bike. None of us actually saw it happen, but I came out of the bathroom to find Katie with a VERY bloody nose, a new knot between her eyes and lots of sobs. The woman on the bike had a child with her and was mopping Katie's nose along with Judy when I saw her. At first, I thought she was just stopping to help but then I figured out that she had run into Katie (or Katie had run into her). Poor babe. She seems OK... with my dictionary, I was able to figure out what happened (sort of... she and her kid are OK, and she said Katie didn't hit her head when she fell. There was much apologizing from everyone.). Katie said it's a "medium hurt." As we continued on after snacks, cuddles, and a bit of washing up, Liv ran off in front of her. Katie screamed out "Careful Wiv... that bike is coming! Slow down!" Thankfully, sister heard sister and all was well.
Here are some pictures of the last few days -- Jack getting 100 yen from the tooth fairy, cleaning for Grandma and Grandpa, and our day at the park. The last one, sadly, is another head wound for Katie.
1 comment:
Interesting times in Japan your'e having.
Yes, we found sumimasen to be one of the most useful words in Japanese! (Maybe after Arigto, Domo, Kudasai, Onegitimasu...)
OUR Japanese tooth fairy not only gave money, but, of course, it had to be wrapped in a box with a small present. We didn't hear about throwing the old tooth away, though!
Looks like the bikes are holding up well. I also feared for the shoji screens, and left them open. Though once Deb asked, and apparently they can repaired cheaply (tatami, too -- which in some places in Japan are replaced on a regular basis).
Post a Comment