Well, I think we got a taste of what tomorrow could look like tonight. We stopped by Bonny's cafe for dinner since the thought of cooking in the chaos of the packing was just too much. The kids are usually great there -- but not tonight. First, Katie refused to wear any bottoms besides underwear (a long story having to do with her ballet tights itching and not having any backup bottoms because I'd cleaned out the car) but Bonny still let her come in. Then she and Liv fought over the high chair with the cup holder, with neither strong willed 3yo willing to bend until John somehow convinced Liv to switch. No one ate anything, and many tantrums followed, and Jack helped by bouncing a bouncy ball all over the restaurant and crawling under couches and tables to retrieve it (I could almost hear Bonny thinking "just get through tonight and you won't see them for 14 weeks"). She left us with hugs, kisses, and good wishes, as she is a better and more patient person than I could ever be, and I think I heard a sigh of relief from her when we got in the car. There was no reasoning with them at all -- and it hit me that this could be true a lot in the next few days.
But tonight the kids are having a blast while I pack -- Lori took them out and they have found a ton of frogs to capture and take down to the pond. As they hunted, a giant jackrabbit ran by them and our own Jack rabbit chased it (nearly giving him a heart attack, according to Lori (the bunny, not the boy). John is back at the office writing his letter for tenure and promotion -- the rest of the file is finished! -- and his bags are all packed. I just have my own to do and we'll be set. We are ONLY taking eight checked bags (six big, two small and full of books and schoolwork). Added to the suitcase of macaroni and diapers are three jars of peanut butter and a stash of granola bars for a homesick day. We will be gone 14 weeks exactly, and the fun starts tomorrow. Oh, let's be honest. It's already started...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment